View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 03:49 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

on the earlier bikes it was a 40 pilot, i think at high elevation i went to 38.

The check is based on air screw. from google:
 Start with a fully warmed up engine at normal operating temperature.
 High performance 2 stroke engines are very inefficient at low RPM and therefore it is usually best
not to set them to idle. You will find that the idle speed adjustment and the required low speed
mixture setting will change drastically from a warmed up engine in the pits to a hot engine
several laps into the race. It is best to set the slide position (idle speed screw) so that the engine
will return to a low RPM for a few seconds and then die. In actual use while riding this has
proven to work acceptably.
 Initially adjust the low speed mixture screw to approx 3 turns out from all the way in. On two
stroke carburetors this is an air screw so don’t forget turning the screw out is a leaner mixture.
 Using the throttle, keep the engine at a low RPM, just above stall RPM. Use the throttle to slightly
increase and decrease the RPM. Turn the air screw in ? turn at a time until the engine sounds
heavy and rich like the choke is on and the throttle response is slow (don’t forget that you are
only twisting the throttle slightly). Then go back out with the air screw until the engine sound just
cleans up. (it should still sound very slightly rich but it should respond and clean out instantly
when the throttle is opened ? to ? open)
 Your final setting on the low speed mixture screw should be between 1/2 and 3 turns out from
completely in. If you are less than 1/2 turn, you need 2 sizes larger pilot jet. If you are more than
3 turns, you need a pilot which is 2 sizes smaller