View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 01:14 PM

Certainly very interesting. It's the technology that is tipped to replace batteries in electric vehicles and reduce charging times to be comparable with filling a car fuel tank with petrol or diesel. There is an experimental bus fleet in China using these. The charge only lasts a few stops but recharge time is about 30 seconds via inductive charge coils in the road.

My only concern would be the compatibility between the bike's charging circuit and the supercapacitor. My guess is that the supercapacitor woild be able to both charge and discharge much quicker than a conventional battery and it could load the electrics in ways that the designers could not have imagined. Dumping the bike in water could short out the supercapacitor and the discharge rate could be spectacular.

In capicitance terms, I would expect figures in the low 1000s of Farads in one of these Jaycar units. The good thing is that you can recharge them almost indefinately without losing capacity. I doubt that they woild hold their charge for long periods on the shelf but who cares if they charge up again in seconds?