View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 05:53 PM

Just thought I would update my last post. I ended up buying a 90degree torsion spring from TrueValue hardware. It was 75 cents[p# 88042]. The cost was irrelevant. I just did not want to replace the spring with the failed one originally used.
Anyway, this spring had 2-2"legs I bent one leg to the same config as the original in my vise. The other leg I began cutting shorter and shorter to what I thought would be the min length. It was just around 1" long by time I was done cutting. Further, The screw that was originally used was about 16mm long. I doubled the length of the screw because the screw hole was an open hole with nothing on the other side and screwed it in about 5 threads deep so that all the parts would fit without stress. I then fitted them in place and finished by seating the screw.

Took about 5 min to install after the spring was bent and cut. Works just fine. I bought 2 of the springs. the first one I installed in my spare motor as described above, the second will go in my SM as soon as I have a reason to open up the side case.

Tony