View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 08:38 AM

Default Help with a JTR 160, please

I picked up this 1996 JTR 160 over the weekend to learn to ride trials on and I'm very excited to get going with it. The bike is still in great shape given its age.

Nothing about it is found on the GasGas site. They do not even list a manual section for year 1996. It's as if this bike never existed : (

The closest year manual I found was for the 2002 TXT but I have no idea if I can go by this for what I need to know, so asking here in the hopes someone has some knowledge of this older bike.

1) Which gear/clutch oil is correct? This 2002 book says 10w30 but someone online posted 5w30 non-synthetic. Honda makes both in their 4-stroke line that is safe for clutch plates so I will use that, once I know which.

Also, there are two black plastic caps under the engine poking through the bash plate. I assume one of these is the oil drain and that I need to remove that bash plate to get to them??

2) What is the gas to oil mixture?

3) Is the coolant a 50/50 mix or do I use it straight and how do I know the fill level?

4) There is this small digital device on the center fairing. The two black wires have been cut. Can anyone tell me what this is for and where those wires connect to?

Appreciate any help you can provide. Really in the dark on this one. BTW: If anyone knows of a third party service book that might cover this year please let me know of it.

Thanks,
George