View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutler View Post
First off that's one sweet bike. Trials bikes are hard to find of any size you'll find that parts are expensive for them.
Thanks for the kind words. Plenty of similar trials bikes in my area. All the 250cc and higher bikes you could want in Beta, GasGas but nothing lower, until last Sunday, as I said. Also, the vintage twin shocks. Tons of them in great looking shape around here. I own a mint 1986 Honda TLR200 200cc trials bike but it has been a bear to learn on. I find the 4-strokes harder because if the engine braking causing the bike to chug in low gear. You easily lose your balance. It throws me off.

Was suggested I buy a "newer" modern trials bike, less than 200cc, to learn to ride in. So, that was how I came to own this one.

Quote:
If that rear fender is bolted on you need to unbolt it and replace the bolts with zip ties that way when you flip it and you will it just breaks off if it's bolted the fender will break the one for my 01 cost a$150.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will do so. I'm sure I'll be falling off often enough

Quote:
90% of trials riders mix 80:1 or 100:1 like F5 said if you plan on riding it on trails you might want to go 60:1 I don't. If you do ride that on trails they do tend to get hammered it is not a dirt bike.
This one also has that choke lever way up under the frame with a cable tie attached. Where I live (and can practice a bit in the yard) is around 100' above sea level but where I can legally ride is more like 500 feet higher.

Well, I also own a Honda XR-80R dirt bike so will not be wasting this GasGas for that kind of rough riding. Still a bit confused about this oil mixing. Only owned one two stroke and it was a small scooter.

What is the advantage of altering the ratio? Is it that you have better engine/bearing protection with a lower ratio but the trade off is more smoke out the exhaust, more fouling of the spark plug... what exactly?

Also, are you running E10 gas? I have a simple method to remove the ethanol to obtain pure gas. I do it for my 1965 Triumph. Adding 1 quart of distilled water to a gallon of premium 91-93 octane gas, shaking the crap out if it, then, letting it sit for 12 hours. You can then drain off the ethanol and water leaving just gas. The octane drops 2.5 points so the reason for using premium gas going in. This lets you leave the gas in there all the time with no issues of eating the rubber, the seals, etc. will not gum up over time.

This is Shell 90.5 octane puregas I made three years ago. Look at the clarity and golden color. This is the way gas used to look. It smells sweet. No harsh alcohol odor to it. This gas will last forever this way.

Last edited by Chesterspal; 10-16-2018 at 10:24 AM.