View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankin04 View Post
I don't notice any bubbles in my radiator and engine/frame oil still look fine, although it sounds like it's starting to blow since it's only getting worse with the white gunk and smoke with hard starting. Is replacing the head gasket a procedure that can be done pretty easily? Anything else I should get before replacing?

Thanks for help

Crankin04
I would not replaced the heat gasket until you are sure thats what it is.

its is alot easier to remove the exhuast and header pipe first, all you will need to replace is the header gasket, this takes alot less time and is also cheaper on parts. if your head is blown there will be signs of water in the exhuast outlets and your plug will look darker than normall. If there is moisture in there then its the head gasket and you have to remove the exhuast anyway.

Replacing the head gaskets is not hard you just read the manual and mark how things come out, i did mine for the first time it took about 3 hours to stripp down.

If you have no bubbles in the rads i doubt if the head gasket is blown, thats a sure sign the gasket is gone.

The other thing you can do is check is your valves its called a leak down test, you remove the exhuast header pipe and the carb/efi and pour a small amount of fuel into each of the vavle seats through the exhuast inlet and fuel inlets, make sure the valves are level so the fuel covers all around the vavles, this is a test to see if the valves are seating correctly as the fuel should not leak past the valves if it does the motor will not hold compression.
to do this you need to make sure the motors at TDC so all the valves are closed on the compression stroke.

if both of these thing are ok not sure where to go from here.