View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the reply

So far I have determined that with the key switch on, power is supplied to the CDI through a red wire, once that power is on... it will do the random sparking thing if I jiggle the CDI box.
-no difference if the stator /pickup coil wiring is connected or not
-if I unplug the coil trigger wire and test for 12v+ while jiggling the CDI I get some very strange sweeps on the tester needle from negative voltage to about +6v if I recall correctly
-All wiring in the harness shows clean continuity, and has no visual damage. I payed special attention to the group of wires that lead to the stator connector (which is where the pickup coil signal must come from)

I'll be digging in again, but i just can't wrap my head around how for example a shorting, or broken wire could trigger the CDI to fire so rapidly.
Today I will completely strip the wiring and continue looking for a problem, I don't expect to find anything as I have been through it all already.

Through a north american distributor for JD Racing, I see a unit for my bike for $550 USD, that's going to translate to at least $700 by the time I got in to Canada with the exchange rate and shipping. I'm sure hoping someone chimes up with another option like a KTM CDI or the old RM125 units guys used to install on the older Gassers. This is starting to feel like it will ruin my summer.