View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 08:13 AM

hey guys kinda new to this forum, i stand alot more than most of my mates, it mainly comes from riding trials bikes as a kid. You defently have a lot more control standing in both slow technical stuff as you have much better balance and you are in a much more dominate position on the bike, putting you in control of the bike instead of the bike being in control of you; and in open stuff as it puts you in a position which is ready to react to up coming obsticals, or suprises that sneak up on you. If a log or bog hole catches you while humming along in 5th/6th gear, while sitting there is a good chance you will crash into it, but standing you are in control and ready to react, you can get your weight back, forward, or pre load the bike to get you over the top of the obstical.
I also find that if i do get myself into trouble, including running too hot into a corner, and washing the front wheel under brakes, it is alot easier to regain control while standing with you putting your foot down than in is while sitting, putting all your weight onto your foot and possible doing yourself damage to your knees etc

i find that i have alot more control when entering corners standing, as you can shift you weight alot better to steer the bike, and control any sideways behavour.

The key is to use your legs... GRIP THE BIKE WITH YOUR KNEES while accelerating and breaking, this will prevent your arms from becoming tired and will give you control! The bike can be steered with out using your arms, and you can practice it by riding down a hill, standing up, knees bent, with your weight central, now take your hands from the handle bars and while rolling use your legs to steer the bike. If you push down on the right peg and lift up from the left one the bike will steer right, and vice versa.
I find this good practice as it reminds you how much work the bike can do for you. Another handy thing to remember when ridding it tight trees is to stand above the bike, steer it with your legs, but keep your upper body upright and let the bike lean underneigh you. That way you can thread the bike and handle bars through really tight trees, without getting yourself tangled up in them, whilst also keeping up on the pegs.

As far as bike set up i like my bars higher than stock (i have spacers), i run my gear lever around 25mm above peg height as this makes shifting while standing comfortable without having to remove my foot from the pegs, i have my rear brake lever again slightly higher than the peg so its comfortable to use standing (i use my rear brakes alot) and my levers are set just down from horizontal, this ensures that my wrists are at the correct angles while operating my levers to maintain their strength (my wrists have had multiple injurys so i have to be careful.

Just remember to use your leg muscles to grip the bike, and also to steer the bike.

Hope this all helps

Sam

Ride smooth, ride fast

2007 EC 250 (for sale)
2009 EC 250 (comming as soon as the doc says i can ride!!!)