View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 02:19 PM

Not much progress tonight, I should have the shim tomorrow and the bits for the starter motor.

When I was building up the top end last night to check the clearances I sat the chain back on the sprockets. I was reading through the small amount of literature I have on the engine and I noticed something I'd not seen before. When timing up the crank to cam position there is no marks on the flywheel. This makes things difficult but I set it at TDC and set the cams with 3 on the inlet pointing up and on the exhaust cam 2 pointing up. I counted the pins as 15 which is correct also. Then I realised the arrows were also pointing to specific pin positions I.e the exhaust cam number 2 arrow points at the left pin on a complete link and so does the number 3 arrow on the inlet.

I basically got it a link out - unfortunately I don't know the timing condition before I stripped it other than it was at TDC & I had 15 pins between the vertical cam arrows - chances are I got this wrong last time.

Question is was it wrong when I bought it? I'll never know now but I do know with its dropped valve it had been touched at some point.

So when it goes back together tomorrow I'll make sure it's correct! Injector should be back from cleaning in a few days and then I'll try to fire it up again.