View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 11:58 AM

If the problem is a lean area of the map, the TFI can help. I cannot see how it could improve starting, because it is bypassed and not functioning when the bike first starts. It takes a few seconds to boot before it does its thing. This is because the ECU is applying a heavy start enrichment factor of its own at his point. There is a yellow LED that flashes while this is happening. Once this is complete, it will enrich the idle if the low speed range adjustment is set above zero. I'm sure mine worked this way, but if by chance Dobeck made a design change maybe you should call and find out.

The ECU trim parameter is fixed pulse width change, that is it adds or subtracts (on my IAW-5AM) approx 13us for each number change. It is not a % change of width, thats why its effect is primarily at idle and low demand areas of the map, where the pulse width is more narrow (leaner).

In the USA, the VDSTS, or VDST Standard (for one ECU family) is $200. A TFI is around $250+.

I assume your TPS was checked/reset and no codes are present. I'm by no means an experienced FSE guy, but I'm comfy with EFI systrems. I don't recall anyone here having to resort to adding a TFI to get the bike to run right, once the race map was enabled in the ECU.