Thread: Sherco
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
There will always be quite significant differences between a 2 strokes power delivery and a 4 stroke. Add in FI, and that a 4T of equal capacity will make less peak HP and it gets even harder.

I personally find the current generation FI 4 strokes very uneventful. Seamless smooth power. Very predictable and easy to ride (regardless of capacity). Don't like how 4Ts flame out/stall at a certain rpm where a 2T would still be ticking over either.
All good points and will not disagree...might want to add that 4-strokes tend to run hotter and steam over quicker. That was what my mindset was going into giving a Sherco 4-stroke a try. A week ago 15 friends of mine all loaded up for a week of riding in Colorado at 10k+ elevation. Had a mix of KTM, Gassers, Husky and my Sherco. My fuel consumption was on par with the 2-strokes but my power was still very close to back home at 500 - 1,000 elevation and the smokers were all very down on power as expected with elevation. The 4-stroke KTM's with FI were all far too lean, great on fuel but fans ran alot and steamed if they even looked at a hill. I had no fan, nor auto-clutch and done a modest amount of clutch fanning in the ugly stuff. I was blown away when I never steamed once and my friend riding my 11 GG 300 was steaming (takes a bunch to make the GG steam). My power was always what I needed nor any surprises so yes you could say uneventful. For this 52 year old trail rider my Sherco pulled me thru areas I expected to do battle in and never once had the clutch squawk back at me. I am still not a 4-stroke fan and enjoy the fun a 2-stroke can offer but this little 4-stroke wins me over more each time I ride it and far more nimble than my 11 GG could ever hope to be. No flame outs to date. Sherco fuels the bike as it should be and not to pass any EPA standards.