View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
I have a 1992 RM125 with a Mikuni TM carb. The bike doesn't run, and I know less than nothing about it. Where do I start? Anyone have suggestions for a baseline? I do have a 36mm AS2 available if all else fails, but I want to win honestly. No cheating! Well, not yet anyway.

Thanks!
Same as where I started with my Husky CR125..

What do you want to know/check? To see if she'll run, first at least ensure the air filter is clean, and the carb is flushed clear and no jets blocked, make sure the engine turns over, that you have spark, and compression. Even if poorly tuned it should run (poorly).

If you can't get it to fire you'll have to dig further depending on what you find. No spark, look at wiring looms and stator, etc. No compression, start pulling engine. Don't forget reeds too.

If you get to the point where it's going to start costing $$ to get it to fire, you'll need to start looking to see if it's worth it (the state of the rest of the bike and other possible money suckers).

When you pull the carb down to clean it, check the float height, and take note of the jets and needle installed. It'll also give you information to work with in your research.