Thread: APT SmartCarb
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the review, GasGasman. I am excited to hear that you've had good results with this Carb.

+1 on the long term testing. I would like to know how this thing holds up.

I emailed APT with a number of questions about the SmartCarb and received not one, but two replies from company reps. They also sent me a brochure (I tried to attach it but the file was too large).

One of the questions that I asked was about the die cast version of the carb and what we might expect pricewise. Here is their answer:

"We are receiving our first sample of die cast 38mm bodies in the next two weeks and will run tests to verify the process and begin moving forward into production. Projected costs are in the $350-$400 range for the 36-40mm sizes. $425 to $450 for the side pull TPS 40-44mm sizes and $275-$325 for the 20-27mm sizes. Other sizes coming and yes taperbores."

I asked them about a projected time frame; their response:

"We will be releasing a investment cast carb later next year. We are currently working with some OEM's to get are technology in the market on some of there units. We are still sourcing out parts for the investment cast, so we do not have a price for you yet. The billet racing carbs we have in stock are priced at $775, but we feel with all the benefits our fuel system offers, its worth the price. We do not have a large margin in the billet application."

I also asked this:
"...are there any independent test/reviews being conducted by a respected name in the powersports industry? If so, when might the public see the published results?
Their answer:
"Yes we have a tremendous amount of third party data: Northwest UAV?s (a military drone contractor), GASGAS factory, COBRA factory, Harrison Wolfe (Ryan Tovatt) emission certification lab, California Environmental Engineering, many labs in China, Pikes Peak racers, (Tim Seebold, Zach Warnock, Matt Meinart, etc). Some was published on our website, since been removed, but I?ve told our marketing team to put it back on. We are scheduled for several back to back reviews for Dirt Rider and Hi Torque Publications this spring on 300cc two stroke Enduro dirt bikes."

I'm excited because where I live we have such varying temps and elevations. I fully intend to purchase a 36-38mm taper bore when the die cast version is available.