View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 AM

They do have starting issues I'm afraid. I don't have an 04, mine is an 06 and seems to start easy when warm although it needs a couple of revolutions on the starter where many carb bikes will fire immediately. Mine seems to have an issue starting when it's cool or cold ambient and the engine is cold.

Are you sure the mixture is fat? I thought the GasGas problem was usually too lean? This may or may not help you but it does the trick when mine is cold. Naturally I turn the key and wait for the pump to prime, I then open the throttle WFO and hit the starter and while it is spinning over I let go of the throttle so it closes, if it fires within another couple of revolutions I keep the starter button depressed for another 4 or 5 turns i.e. while the engine idles. If it doesn't catch I turn the ignition off and start again.

The 04's I heard rumoured were the most awkward to start but at least yours starts on the kicker. Mine never does.

The whole GG 4 stroke starting issue is pretty poor I'm afraid. They have never really sorted it fully. In my opinion the bikes should start easily in any conditions within operating range, with electric or kick. You'd at least expect them to start easy in a climate similar to the country they're made in - which is similar to California!

But .... yes I would get it trimmed and serviced. Make sure the throttle body is clean and has no leaks or issues, air filter is good and correctly oiled. Also get the valve clearances checked.