View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 10:59 AM

Default Cheap Chinese replacement carb.. (review)

Hi all, I have been struggling for weeks with the carb setup on my 2007 EC250... (UK) I have read everything and tried everything...literally!
I managed to improve things but I was beset with inconsistent results and erratic idle and just....well just... not good...

Anyway, I decided to buy a PWK 38 from China... despite some misgivings it was a final attempt at resolving the issues.

It cost ?28 and arrived within 2 weeks. My first impression was poor as the idle jet broke when I tried to remove it but a small "easy out" removed it and I installed all the genuine Keihin parts that I had bought in an attempt to cure the old carb.

So, everything (jets, needle etc) was transferred to the Chinese copy, fitted to the bike, pilot screw out 1.5 turns fuel on, (short prayer)..... starts 1st kick with a fast idle. The idle screw actually works now and turning it out slowed the idle speed and she just sat there with a beautiful steady idle... be still my beating heart .

I let it idle as I refitted the seat and took it for a run. Absolute bloody perfection... I am a fussy bugger when it comes to bikes and this little bike felt like it had a new engine. Everything about it is improved. The response is clean and linear throughout the rev range, the idle is perfect, the spooge has all but disappeared and she starts 1st or 2nd prod hot or cold.

Needless to say I am delighted!

I do wonder what was wrong with my old carb as I had replaced everything that could be replaced except the jet block gasket. I may get some security Torx bits and remove it tomorrow to see if that was a problem but I guess it was just old and worn like me.

Anyway, my advice to anyone with an old well worn EC250 with fueling problems is just spend a few quid on a new carb. It will save hours and hours of grief.

Happy days.. I just need the weather to improve a bit in the north of England now....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new carb.jpg (111.4 KB, 54 views)

Retired
EC 250 (2007)
UK