Thread: Fork Seals
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 12:45 PM

1L is not enough. You will need almost 1.5L.

The PVC works great on WPs that just about fall together when the tube is heated, but the bushings and seals in Zokes fit tighter and you have to be careful the edge is releived on the inside as not to damage the seal lip like stainless mentioned. The bushing needs a square edge to drive it in completely so I made a short double sided PVC tool thats split, hose clamped to the fork tube, and you use the fork tube to press or tap everything in. I've done it but its a PIA to get everything right with the right size PVC. For me the real tool is worth it as I do forks on at least four bikes. Good purchase.

The bushings should be fine as long as the dull green teflon coating is intact over the bronze on the bearing side(s). If you can see shiny base metal they are toast. Be carefull R&R them. Wouldn't hurt to drop the damper rod out of the cartridge, check the piston ring, and clean things up.

Bullet tool is nice but you also have to protect the seal from the sharp edges of the bushing land as you slide it over. Tape this, and grease the new seals path good.