View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-throttle-cam-system/

With that gearing on a setup 300 you won't need 1st gear. I run 13-50 on my 250 and it's very rare that I'll knock back to 1st even in the snottiest tight terrain. 2nd or 3rd with a slip of the clutch and you should be getting smooth drive. Too aggressive on the throttle and clutch and she'll punch around. No clutch and I find it very on/off jerky instant response. The 300 was a real arm stretcher though, given I'm only mid 70kgs in normal clothes.. it's more bike than I need.

I like to gear my bikes that I don't need 1st though as well. It gives me a real granny gear for goat tracks or putting along in the unknown. Leaves the other 5 gears to shuffle through without worrying about finding neutral accidently.

Jetting will also make a big difference off idle. A rich burble on a big bore will explode to life as it clears it's throat. The stock needles were bad for this.. blubber blubber braaaap! The Suzuki needles seem to tame things down and make them feel a bit more electric across the rev range, where the Yamaha/ktm series give a smoother bottom end, with a more aggressive mid transition on the taper.