Thread: VIN Decoder
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

This is my understanding on the subject.

GasGas started using the 10th digit to denote the year model in 2002, which would put a "C" in that year's Vin at the 10th position. Before that, the 8th or 9th position digit would denote year model.

The early year (including "early" 2002) EC models were street legal in 52 countries around the world. However, Don Knight wanted to get a bike over here that was both less expensive than the "world model EC", and was more oriented to expert level off-road racing in the US, as the Knights interpreted it.
This was accomplished by the bikes coming to the US with an abbreviated wiring harness, smaller 35w ignition, FMF pipes, and the loss of street equipment (turn signals, etc).

A true XC would have the MX frame, which is easy to tell by the lack of a steering head lock.

Once GasGas North America split with GasGas Spain, and GasGas Motors of America started importing the bikes and parts (winter of 2001/2002), at first only the "world model" 2002 EC was imported. Due to dealer requests, the factory later started outfitting and sending to the US the "DE" models (Dealer Edition) that were very close to the former XC or SE models. (with true MX frames and MX suspension, with the "gold series" shock with high and low speed compression adjustment)

note:
The SE bikes were XC bikes with special Ohlins forks, gold series Ohlins shocks, higher compression MX heads, gold barkbusters, and customer personalized suspension. I believe that gasgasman had one of these. My son Josh bought a used one, which I raced in a couple of enduros.
The ECO models were simply the bikes equipped with Ohlins forks.

The customization of the bikes for the US market was the cause of the confusion over the designations vs the Vin numbers.

I hope that that helped.

Good Riding!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/