View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonetree
im curious to hear what people may suggest....
my 09 GG250 2banger, with low hours, a reasonably recent topend rebuild, etc, was running great,...
so a couple of weeks ago i started to play around with my jetting, trying different needles out..
after getting some interesting results, and some brilliant bottom end responses, i was still not happy with the top end performance, in particular, if i snapped the throttle open quickly to WOT, i was seeming to be consantly running lean. after chasing jets and going to rediculously rich settings, loosing the good bottom ends i had been chasing i still couldnt get the bike to rev "cleanly" if i was really trying to keep it on the pipe- with a constant "stutter" as if it running out of fuel.
in my frustration i have gone back to my original settings with needle and jetting, (N1eg 38/178) and low and behold, now it has the same symptoms.
i can get it to run nice and crisp off the bottom, constant idle, good temps, but every time i try to keep it on the pipe, it stutters...
I've checked:
float height
changed plugs,
fuel flow out of tank,
pulled jets and cleaned, yet to pull whole carby and hit with carb cleaner and compressed air...

i will also check the reed block and reeds...

but where else do i look?
any other suggestions? what am i missing? (better not find a rag in behind my air cleaner ^rof)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonetree
so i just thought i'd report on my findings........
i pretty much did everything i was going to do, without any obvious problems. everything was clean, working, adjusted right....
dropped a brand new sparkplug in, even though i had tested several that were known to be good.
put some extra high temp copper gunk on the viton o rings...
AND, put a new air cleaner in, even though the old one wasnt very dirty...
quick squirt, problem gone.... BUT NO EXPLINATION ^cens^BGHD

about all i could find was, the sparkplug cap seemed a little loose but less than a 1/4 turn to tighten it....
and the air cleaner, had "stuck" itself in, apparently no toil will dry out if left too long... perhaps it was running super rich, but it didnt seem like it was... (nothing like pulling a choke on)
im not sure if either of these explain things, but its going now ^nana
thanks for all the suggestions..
In hindsight looks like it might of been the air filter more at fault here not letting it breath.