View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 03:15 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default 2014 300 replica

I made the mistake of demo riding a 2014 EC300.I felt guilty but it was a one time thing that meant nothing. I love my 2010 EC300 but it just isn't the same anymore. Well it all got messy & it escalated to a factory replica moving in.
Report- Put rad guards on. Easier bike to work on, more standardised fixtures. Set sag, rolled bars forward, loktited a few bits that tend to come loose.I left the fuel tap on & it leaked a litre of gas on the floor. Pulled the carb & checked fuel stopper thing, reduced the float level 1mm,noted the jetting- main172, pilot 35,needle NIEF clip2,AS 2.5.Temp 16-25,sealevel to 400m.
Airbox- the bottom looks sealed apart from a rubber teat at the bottom. I can just see it filling up with water at the first river crossing?
First ride was pine forest twin & single track, damp loam & mud with some stumps & roots. This things turns! seriously- look at the corner, tip into corner, go round corner. Done. It sits in ruts with no drama, you start looking for them because it is so fun.
I nearly bought a Husqvarna 300 because I was unsure of the Reiger shock. It behaved really well today, very smooth. It kicked out on some fast ledge/rock hits but it is seriously under sprung (100 kg + gear. yeah, yeah bring on the pie eater comments).The 48mm zokes surprised me, better than my correct sprung & valved sachs. Every time they move there was a grinding, clicking noise. Looks like the clutch cable join at the top catches on the plastic face plate. Noticed the throttle cable rubs on a metal bracket at the top as well & is wearing already. Quite annoying.
Jetting is pretty good. Very clean & responsive off the bottom, burbly in the middle but once the power valve opens it just buggers off wherever it is pointing!
Next will be getting the correct springs & watch Nathan & Jacobi's 2014 jetting thread. Will get a few hours on first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 70.jpg (136.7 KB, 106 views)