View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminhammer View Post
You sound like you are push quite hard, be careful with that. Here is a good article to try and keep your training in check.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/overt...#axzz2NcmfbJUs
You most likely are not over-training, but a good way to monitor this is to keep an eye on your resting heart rate. Do an internet search and you will find tons of information on using heart rate to train.

Let me start this by saying "for me" because everybody has a different optimal training routine...everybody. You need to get to know your body before you can accurately build your training program.

For example, twenty years ago I was a pretty darn good competitor, mountain bike, road bike, triathlons, dirt bikes, BMX, running. I could attack, push my heart rate well north of 200bpm, hold it there for a good duration and recover then attach again.

Well two years ago my wife convinced me to start racing again so I trained and I went at it like I used to...and discovered that physiologically I am not the same person that I was twenty years ago. I know most people would say "no shit" but I had stayed very active and in good shape since I last raced and what had really changed for me was the window for my optimum power output. I could no longer attack, redline my heart rate and recover. I just blew up and dropped off the lead pack.

So I put the heart rate monitor back on and realized that I now have a maximum viable heart rate limit of about 190bpm and that was only good for a minute or sos. I also discovered that I could hold 174bpm for a really long stretch, but that was it...not 175bpm for a long stretch. 174bpm was me "holdong on the boards" so to spreak, that was my new red line.

Once I figured that out I got an idea for what my body now felt like when it was putting out maximum sustainable exertion and that is where I raced. I would allow for a very short burst (usually off the start or when passing) of 190bpm, but I would immediately pull it back down. I also started riding my own race (at 174bpm) to not put myself in a position to blow up and be unable to recover.

So all of this is my long-winded way of saying get a heart rate monitor, a mtb or road bike for aerobic training, and simple strength training routine with a bow-flex or dumbbells. These things combined with riding your dirt bike for FUN will bring you the best results.

Once you figure out how your body feels when you are at your aerobic red line you can work on pushing yourself to that point on your dirt bike, but PLEASE don't push yourself like this alone. When you are at your max things can get ugly really fast.

Here is a quick link to a chart that will get you in the right ball park for your age. I didn't read the rest of the article, but the chart looks right:
http://mizfitonline.com/2010/07/29/t...ng-guest-post/

And I guess you should check with your doctor before you start any aerobic training routine to make sure that your heart can handle it....Steve Larson was an uber-athlete and he dropped dead of a massive heart attach while doing his normal training routine, so I guess this could happen to any of us:
http://www.examiner.com/article/supe...sen-dies-at-39