Thread: My "new" 300
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 07:21 AM

I have wrestled with the Hyde and mounts since I got my '07, and despite it being a PIA to R&R, and a messy oil change if you don't, its still the best IMO. I had planned to add some Delrin pipe to the frame but that ended up being too thick and throwing the fit way off. I ended up cutting a couple rubber hose sections to snap over the frame instead. Made my own rear mounts with captive fasteners, and a new front mount thats a combo of a thick bar and the OEM Hyde mount that follows the curve of the frame tubes. I ditched the header side clamp/stud setup and just use a clamp with high temp silicone rubber as an insulator. All M6 hardware with steel inserts through the plastic so the holes don't wear.

I can R&R the combo in a few minutes now. I leave it on for washing the bike if I'm not going to do an oil change, otherwise I pull it, and the hose frame guards, and clean it up good. The skidplate foam does a good job of controlling mud but the corrigated pipe guard section still traps a lot of leaves and junk. CF pipe guards trap mud too, and don't dry out as quick due to the tight fit, rusting the pipe.

Jeff,

Its a little late now, but what if Pirie molded in several threaded inserts in the bottom of the guard, with a flange as large as possible to distribute forces. This would be the strongest way. You could then design brackets to tie the skidplate in, and if done right, may even be able to be universal.