View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 11:39 AM

Default Gas Gas Ec 300 2004 Carb setup issue

Hi all,
Long time no see, I'm finally there I have managed after 5 and a half years (on and off) to build from scratch a ec 300 2004 bike.
I posted some of my build video YouTube links on here a while back and got a mixed response, anyway I'm not here for that I've come into an issue with the bike.
I fired her up for the very first time last Friday I put fresh petrol in fresh oil etc etc. The engine was completely rebuilt so this was a first for the engine.
All was well with that I mean I kicked and kicked and kicked and she burst into life I was revving away with a s**t eating grin on my face but as I let off the throttle she did not idle so I researched and set the air screw to factory 1 and a half turns out (brass screw) kiehin pwk 38 carb. I fired her up again adjusting the air mixture pilot screw (plastic screw) to no joy. It stayed idling for the longest time although very low and died after 15 or so seconds when the air mixture screw was fully in.
I did some more research and found out that adjusting that screw even minutely should change the revs, but mine didn't it didn't change a thing no matter how far in it was or out.
I've been having a play today and had the air screw 2 to 2 and a half turns out and the idle screw 4 turns out had it idling for 20 to 30 seconds but then died.
I researched some more and had a look at the jets the carb had in them, I found,
Pilot jet 42
Main jet 180
Jet needle on 3rd notch (guessing factory needle)
When I looked in the 2004 manual the standard settings are
Pilot jet 35
Main jet 185
Doesn't say anything about the needle as in notch position
I've had a look at the spark plug and is was a little black so after researching it's running rich, so I have ordered a 35 pilot jet thinking this will sort my issue out.

My question is am I on the right lines in thinking this is the right thing to do as it will lean it out being a smaller jet?
Also looking on the data base alot of people on here run there bikes with a 42 idle jet??
Any advice, any help will be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Jay