Thread: Mousse blow out
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2023, 01:31 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryJ7 View Post
just wondering does anyone run TUBliss gen2? What are your experiences, are mouses better? If so, what brand?
I have run tubliss for many years, started with gen 1 in 2006 and eventually ended up gen2 - effectively the same, but gen2 refines some of the gen1 issues - if i remember it is things like rounder rimlock to prevent cutting through the tyre and thicker inner tube (i had my gen1 tube explode for no reason) but basically the same.

The benefit over a mousse is basically being able to change your tyre pressure as you want, whereas a mousse starts hard and ends its life soft so is only the correct pressure at a point in its life.
Mousse is puncture proof (provided it is installed correctly;-)) but tubliss can be plugged 95% of the time and provided the inner tube is in tact you can ride a flat tyre with almost no damage to the rim (i did about 50km of pretty extreme rocky riding at about 70% pace) on a sliced tyre and just replaced the tyre in the pits and rode the next day, the tubliss works like a full rimlock and also the inner works as a bit of a bumper about 20mm proud of the rim so even after the 50km the tyre was still in pretty good shape

in short, unless you are racing for a win i would rather go tubliss

(also it is also the easiest system when it comes to changing tyres - provided you follow the tubliss rules)