View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
You are concerned of being lean and have bought a couple sizes larger on the pilot, but then purchases (and tried) a K diameter needle which is about 3 steps leaner than the JD red in the off idle to 1/8th throttle range.

Based on what you've been saying I would be going for something like an NECW and an NEDW. One size leaner in diameter than the JD, but gives you half clip variation between needles to fine tune the clip position.

Reading plugs is anyones guess with current variations in both fuels and lubricants. Adding to that just looking at a plug in general won't tell you much. You need to do plug chops at certain throttle positions. For a crude test, put an old plug in that's half fouled up and take it for a run. If it comes back with white ash on it you know you're lean - but realistically you should be able to feel this and have other symptoms show first.
I'm not sure on which needles are leaner/richer. Lots of info on here about people trying different needles with different results. But nothing that says "this needle is richer than this one" etc. that's why I was asking which needles people could recommend to me for my elevation. Getting an answer saying to try a particular needle doesn't necessarily tell me which needle is richer/leaner.

I did order a NEDW, so I'll give that a go. I also ordered a NEDK. Which one would be richer of those 2? I've been pretty good at jetting my other smokers before with different mains and pilots, but never played with switching needles before.
Thanx.