View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 PM

there are ways to remove the ethanol. A couple tablespoons of water in 5gal of gasoline will cause the methanol to bond with the water and separate from the gas. It will drop to the bottom of the fuel. Try it in a small water bottle, you'll be amazed. Google it for exact instructions. i tried it with a 1L water bottle and with about 1 teaspoon of water got about 1/4 cup of separation. It may have been on this site that I read about it but you can google it for easy instructions. Use the large clear water bottles (about 3 gallons?) from the grocery store and then turn it upside down and let it separate. A small tap in the lid makes it easy to drain the water/ethanol after it separates.

But as cbutler says, I have never had an issue either. My boat is now parked until probably next June (same as the last 15yrs). I don't treat my mower, rototiller or motorhome any different either, whatever fuel is in them is what they start with in the spring which is quite a while of non-use in my area. I don't drain the fuel from my bikes but I do treat them better and start them about every 2 weeks throughout the winter.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)