View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 12:08 PM

Ethanol absorbs water/moisture and does not drop it to the bottom but suspends it and dirt in floating pockets of a grayish gunk that will wipe out a small carb. Also the ethanol mix burns hotter internal temp of comb chamber causing the smaller engines that do not have a complex fuel management system to not run well.. There is not one manufacturer currently that I know of that recommends ethanol for any engine under 3 cylinders. John deere says ours will "work" but they do not run as well and we have experienced issues. All service tech's in field now carry ultrasonic carb cleaners in the service trucks and use them regularly.. Its a bit different when comparing a guy riding a bike that is very highly maintained and used by the same guy and a fleet of 60 units with single or twin cal. engines who have at least one go down a week and they use them 6-10 hrs a day 6 days a week. What we see the end user of a home mower or MC may never get the hrs of use.. I have a 04 KTM and I have to clean my carb regularly. I have 128 hrs on it. 1600 miles about. I have guys at courses that have walk behind greens mowers they bought this season with 500+ hours of use. They cost $11,000 each and they bought 28 of them. I have boxes of carbs for them now and have had in depth conversations with engineers about jetting and use and ethanol quality. Startron is so far the best option if you cannot buy ethanol free.. go talk to the mechanic at the marina who works on the jetski's..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone