View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 11:49 PM

Default Help me figure this out

Ok I have read the above discussion but I am really in need of some specific help. I understand the sprocket changes that I can do but I want to know what to expect and maybe somebody could help me out.

First, My bike is: 2004 GASGAS FSE450 Supermoto

- I dont know what size the stock sprockets are. Hopefully one of you out there will know. I dont know if it is the same as a FSE non sumo. I want to change the sprockets. My top (cruising) speed is around 60. 60 allows me to go for a few miles without the bike complaining and reving out too high. 70 is too high to do for more than 30 seconds and ive only gotten it up to 80 once.

-What I want to do is gear it so where is basically turn my 60mph into 70 or 75mph. I want to gear my bike where 70-75 is at the same rpm as maybe say 60 or so. I plan on riding my bike on a few trips that are 70 miles more or less and I am not going to be able to do 55-60 the whole way without pulling my hair out. I mostly ride the bike around town, but I want to be able to cruise at at least the speed limit on the freeway for god sakes! Im afraid though, that in doing this sprocket change, I will significantly reduce my power and acceleration to the point where the bike sucks to ride.

Ok. The question now is that when or if I gear my bike for a better higher cruising speed of say 70-75 will I SIGNIFICANTLY reduce my power and acceleration factor? If I do this am i going to hate it basically is what im asking? So for example purposes I can compare my bike to a DRZ400SM. The DRZ has 35 horsepower stock and weighs 300lbs dry. My bike has aprox 50hp and weighs 260 Dry. The DRZ can cruise at like 70 or 80 without straining itself and has plenty of power. My bike has plenty of power and acceleration (so it feels) but my top speed sucks for what I want. Im not saying I like the DRZ better AT ALL!! But I want to be able to cruise with one if I have a buddy with a DRZ. The way my bike is geared right now I cant even ride with buddies with streetbikes because I cant go past 60-70 really. I dont like that.

What should I do? I need help with this topic. Any suggestions are welcome.