View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 05:49 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Cool Annual Guys Camp & Ride Report

Several years ago, I talked my buddy from WI into flying out for a long weekend of riding & camping. We'd been going to Gifford Pinchot since the inaugural trip and had planned to do so again this year, but fire restrictions made us change the game plan late in the process and we ended up hitting Tillamook (my main stomping ground).

An assortment of the usual suspects opted to join in with guys trickling into camp as their schedules allowed. We arrived late Wednesday night, even later than expected thanks to the friendly skies delaying my buddy's flight. Always enjoy setting up a tent at midnight...lol.

Since it was just the three of us nutballs that first morning, we decided to hit some of the harder trails; which in hindsight wasn't the brightest idea as we still had 2 full days ahead of us once day 1 was down. To start things off, we hit a trail none of us had experienced previously - one-way downhill section of gnarly single track. Get to the bottom and discover open pockets in someone's pack...and a missing phone. Ride back to camp and do the 2 trails we'd just covered with no luck. More on the phone saga later.

Buddy was bummed, but we pressed on as the day wasn't waiting. We did a couple easy bits and then headed toward black diamonds and double black diamonds. Not sure what we were thinking when we hit the first double - what a mother of a trail...lol. You know it's tough when you get to a section and there's nowhere to go - bulldog the bikes downhill hoping the front doesn't wash out and send you tumbling as you try to figure out where the trail went...lol.

We eventually made it down and proceeded to another double black diamond downhill - the sign actually has it as a triple black, but I think it's old marking. Aptly named Beaverslide as you spend most of the time slipping and sliding down...lol.

Did that, then over to more downhill insanity with MC. Looped back and did more easy bits, then trekked to more trails that would take us back toward camp as we thought another maroon was going to be there (he wasn't). Had the opportunity to experience another new trail called Cut Off - more sliding and triceps burn keeping my arse back in the seat.

Quick bite to eat at camp, then back out for another trek in the woods. We hit a whole variety of stuff and had to take the opportunity to check out the view from Triangulation Point. Nothing like seeing the Pacific Ocean from atop this peak, not to mention the incredible 360 it offers.

More fun after this, with lots of technical single track planned to get us back to camp. Last trail we're on before heading to camp and Murphy strikes, my buddy had his front tire hit the soft edge of the outside of the trail and poof...20 feet straight down. Nothing like coming around the corner to see your bud hauling himself back up with the bike wedged against a tree. At least the tree stopped the bike from falling all the way to the creek bed...because hauling it straight up 20ish feet wasn't tough enough...lol. Ferns make for soft landing though - he was fine.

Took an hour or so to get going again, but we did it and blitzed to camp...time for beer and whisky.

Great grub around the fire and lots to drink - perfect end to 60ish miles of single track insanity.

Last edited by liv2day; 07-30-2015 at 05:50 PM. Reason: typo