View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 09:08 PM

Hey, Im a 07 FSR450 owner and new here but,I'm also a mountain biker for about 25 years and have battled dehydration all my life.getting a recovery drink(not a sports drink) from your local supplement store is a must.
Has it ever taken 2 days to recover from a long day on the bike?Ever walked around the next day with a cloudy head or tunnel vision?These (recovery drinks) eliminate this problem.They have all the electrolytes you need and will help fuel you up if your riding the next day.You'll wake up the next day feeling refreshed insted of (dare I say it ..........old)
Do your ride,consume 1/2 hour(no later)after you are done.It's critical that you drink it right after your effort.After long efforts your body will absorb carbs and electorlytes 30% faster than it normally will,but this effect only lasts about 45 min.It also helps to drink one before you ride.
Also ,beer and coffee are diaretics.They will not dehydrate you but they will prevent your body from absorbing water.

ie: you wake up in the morning and drink two cups of coffee before a ride,then you decide that it's a hot day so you will drink a litre(I'm Canadian)of water.......You might absorb some but most will go right through you and end up on the forest floor.Firefighters will thank you your body won"t.

My two cents