View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM

Default ec200 alternatives? KTM 200 xcw & Sherco 250i?

I'm a completely new rider, no experience on anything 2 wheeled with a motor. However, I took downhill mountain bike really seriously, including running 4i days a week and strength training to help my racing. I intend on transferring that dedication to the enduro bike because I've ALWAYS wanted a motor, but had never made the move until now. I have raced in the 2006 Baja 500 stateside races, but only on 4 wheels.

Jeff Tasky, of Tasky's Metric Cycles in Washington state has recommended an EC200 and I trust his opinion. At first, i thought I wanted a 4 stroke for its linear and predictable power curve, but I learned of GasGas's legendary smoothness. I'm VERY light at 130lbs and anything bigger than a 200 would probably just tire me out over the course of a race.

Here's the problem: I have been looking for quite a while and I cannot find an EC200 or XC200 used anywhere! Well, that's not true, because Tasky's has a '12. But, everybody seems to agree that the 2012's are bigger than the '11 and earlier. So here are the requirements:
  1. Small size (I'm 5'4)
  2. Beginner friendly throttle
  3. Ability to allow me to compete in open engine classes(classified by age) in hare scarmbles.

During my search for a 2007-2011 GasGas 200cc 2t, I could not help but look at the alternatives. This is what I found:

1) 2009 Sherco 250i demo bike. 2 rides. $5500, no extra setup fees. The Sherco has such a LOW standover, like 35"!!! Won't the 4 stroke just make it easier for me to learn as a beginner? Predictable, consistent power up through the rpm's? Unlike other 4 strokes, this one is light at 225lbs. But will the 250f be all the motor I'll need?(just cuz the GasGas 200cc 2t is much more powerful).

2) KTM 200 XC-W '06-'07. Plenty of these around at $3200-$4000. A favorite woods bike of many with a low standover. Problems:
a) the model of '06-'07(as well as others) are known to hit pretty damn hard and throw you on your ass. However, I know the tricks of taming it via 12oz flywheel weight, adjusting the power valve, and if needed: FMF gnarly pipe and aftermarket throttle cam.
b) Notorious headshake thrives in these years! A damper will fix it.
c) Damn, that is a hell of a lot of stuff to buy just to make a used bike usable by me!! Not to mention the usual springrate/valving stuff.
d) After all these mods and money, will it be anywhere as user-friendly as a GasGas power curve???

I'm going to keep waiting for used 07-11 GasGas 200, but for how long? Okay, go ahead and do your best to convince me either way! Thank you very much from hopefully a future GasGas owner! -Ron

Oh yeah, is a EC/XC250 really going to tire me out that much more than a 200 during a long race? I asked, and the answer was to hold out for a 200 for my size. Just curious if anybody has differing opinions. I would wait/pay more for a proper 200.

Last edited by RonC; 03-27-2013 at 05:01 AM.