Thread: Dirt Bike Clubs
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 10:13 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Dud View Post
Great replies as to what we can learn from each other . I believe that the biggest problem to attracting youth is the cost of newer dirt bikes . My first new bike was a 1976 RM 125 $995. then 2 years later a 1978 PE175 for a wopping $1150.00 My last new 2015 300 done up my way was over $12,000. so how does a young person afford that and a house payment . Plus we had no cell payments , no cabel or internet payment . Micro wave no we did not have tat either . I remember how exciting it was to get a calculator . So today getting young people involved would be more exciting than that Calculator was !
If you are like me you ride old ragged out stuff to start and slowly upgrade. No one is forcing cell phone, internet, or cable bills on anyone but that can easily add up to $300 a month. Save that money for a year and there are plenty of good bikes in the classfieds section of this site you could buy with change left over for gear.

To go full circle id say the biggest barrier is public perception and lack of riding areas making it seem not worth the effort, thiugh i disagree