View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
... without a dougbt the dumbest thing I have ever done on a motorcycle.
Skid - Don't get too discouraged. I've ridden enduros like this before. September 2000 Big Red Enduro in White City, IL. The night before it rained cats and dogs. At sign-up the club limited the rows to 2-riders/minute (no pre-entries). I ended up on row 20 with Jeff Fredette (under AMA enduro rules AA riders start on minute 20 with 1/row). I stuck to Jeff's rear tire for all of 20 yards. Two turns later he was gone.

The entire course was slick with a single rut and two outrigger marks on either side. I got stuck on the first hill, along with 20 other riders, and burned up the clutch in my KDX 200. Didn't even make the first check point.

Since my day was done I helped other riders up the hill. Then some kid on a DR350, at his first enduro, drowned his bike out in the creek crossing before the hill. We pushed his bike out of the creek and tried to pump out all the water. It still refused to light. Ended up pushing both our bikes, a mile through a muddy corn field, to the road. We were only about 100 yards from the start at that point.

That day a lot of good B-riders houred-out by the first or second check point. Out of the ~80 riders who signed up fewer than 30 made it off the clubs property, which was less than 10 miles, and only 7 finished. Fredette siezed his top-end trying to make up for lost time going down a road section.

If that had been my first enduro, I would've been discouraged too. The other two riders in my class houred-out at the first check, so I went home with a 3rd place trophy after riding only 1.5 miles.