View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
But how do you know what you want ...? Who's word do you trust?
That's where the demo rides come in, or the 'manufacturer bucks' we've all tried our riding buddies' bike or 'swapped for a loop', I give test rides on my Gasser for nothing now, if I could get $100-$200 if a guy bought a new unit that would be a bonus for me. In Rick's case where the smaller mfgs haven't met CA's requirements to have a dealer network he can still choose one of the smaller brands and get parts and info support as good or better than the 'box store' models. That would make it harder for him to get a test ride though if there aren't bikes in his area

Good thoughts Steve, with me being an independent repair shop the direct method may open up some avenues for me that aren't there now. i.e. Scotty mentioned his hesitation about buying a fuel injected 4 stroke, if a manufacturer made that training available to repair shops then I might have a new opportunity to offer service to customers. In most cases the shop with the best customer service gets the bulk of the business.

The direct model may work in the off road market as most of us are willing to 'do the work' but the street market will IMO always have to have a dealer network. Many of those riders are not of that mind set.
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro