Thread: VIN Decoder
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 11:46 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJLiberty View Post
Oh ok. Well how could i tell which model it is? I heard that the xc has an fmf pipe and the EC does not and mine isn't fmf. Also it has a headlight/taillight. I thought that was a ec only thing? Sorry im really new to this brand
The only real difference between EC and XC models is the size of the ignition and the "street legal enabling" parts. Both came with the same headlight and had different tail light setups.

Parts will interchange across the whole bike.
To tell if you have an EC ignition or an XC ignition without removing the ignition cover, look at the wires coming from the ignition area of the cases. If the wires come up at the front, then it has the smaller XC (MC)ignition. If the wires come up in the rear of the ignition area, then it has the larger EC ignition.

The XC models, at first, were a "US only" model that was requested by my first importer, Don Knight of Southeastern GasGas , who wanted a race model as it was shipped from Spain. Don Knight fielded a team for the National Enduro Series and the National Hare Scrambles Series; as well as regional races. (This team included Terry Cunningham, Matt Stavish, and Richard Lafferty, some top regional racers, and had Drew Smith of WERproducts.net fpr a suspension on board as the team suspension guru. They did very well, too, finishing in the top ten in both series, and racing the ISDE.)
The SE models were a specially set up XC model that had Ohlins forks, special motor pieces, and personalized for the prospective owner.

The main reasons for the XC being produced and imported to the US were:
1. Get away from DOT red tape and tariffs that were applicable because of the EC having most all of the street legal gear when they arrived.
2. Having a true race model to sell to competition riders around the US.
3. Lower the costs of the bike due to the absence of the parts which made them street legal in 52 countries.
4. My importer and Don Emler (FMF) were friends, and FMF would lower the costs compared to the original Messico racing exhausts; and the need for a USFS approved spark arrestor on the bikes when not used on closed course competition.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Good Riding,
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/