View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmx View Post
I'm planning to dump the oil out of my outer chamber and refill with about 30cc less with 5wt to cheaply soften up my forks a bit. Can anyone confirm I can just loosen the top cap, slide down the outer tube and dump the oil?
Sure, you can loosen the cap, dump the outer chamber oil and refill to your spec. You will have to let them drain for a bit to get close to a "zero" measurement, but you'll have to assume you will not get the entire amount of oil out of the fork. This will effect your refill measurement. (In this case assume at least 5-10cc will remain in the fork, regardless of how long they drain, unless they are taken apart and cleaned)

Keep in mind, the outer chamber oil is mostly there for seal/bushing lubrication and the progressive spring force at the end of the stroke. So going lighter on the outer chamber oil wont have the "wow" factor of a cartridge valving change, if softening up is what you really want to achieve in the initial stroke. Lower oil height will help with mid stoke harshness in some cases as long as the spring rate is correct.
Downingtown, PA 19335
484.593.0095 shop
evan@solid-performance.com
www.solid-performance.com