View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 PM

Default OK guys, I may have an easy fix

Got my clutch kit in today, $50 for a Tusk from Rocky Mtn ATV for a 92ish Honda CR250R including new springs and metal plates. First I just went ahead and put them in to see what happened. The slave cylinder bumped all the way out and didn't engage at all. The clutch felt like a brake. Pressed the clutch rod back into the engine with a screwdriver and noticed it went way further than a millimeter or 2 back so I figured I had room to work with.

So what I did was basically extend the clutch rod by cutting a short section of the tailpiece of a 1/4" drill bit (3 mm I would guess, and the hardest thing I had) and dropped it in the hollow clutch pin where the rod engages the throwout bearing. The clutch felt good as new after that. I watched it engage/disengage and it looked like there was a lot of movement but it totally engaged once released. I also was able to work the kick start with my hand with the bike in gear with the clutch pulled.

I have to take it back apart and bend the tab over on the lock washer and will take a few pics in case someone doesn't understand what did. I would be really nice if we could find some kind of shim that was about 8mmx2mm and solid and hard. Anyone have an idea? Rack your brains guys for a reason this won't work, I can't think of any. I am assuming the clutch has a lot of movement to allow this to work, like a brake caliper does.