View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 10:26 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

1. On the early bikes the seal rides directly on the cranshaft and for later bikes there is a bushing that can go in after the seal is installed which is much easier. For the 2000 300 without the bushing I made a conical glide sleeve from some thin plastic (like a camera film negative) so the seal can slide onto the crank snout. This will keep from damaging the seal. The seal lip and outer seal shell contact at about the same time so it is really really difficult to get them both to go in straight at the same time without problems. The conical glide sleeve made it easier.

2. Warm up the aluminum cases to about 130F to enlarge the hole. Chill the seal in the freezer to make it smaller. Grease or oil the inside of the seal before installation.

3. I used a combination of plastic pipe, crank drive gear, washers along with the crank nut to press in the seal into place. You can use a socket for the 200cc bikes because they have a bolt that threads into the crankshaft snout where the 250 and 300 bikes have a nut on the threaded crank snout. Threading the nut on the crank snout keeps the pressure perpendicular to the cases and helps put the seal in evenly.

I hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch side crank seal 2000 xc300.jpg (19.2 KB, 21 views)