View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 08:59 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
So I'm eager to hear some feedback on the fuel injected KTM 2 strokes.

Anyone have any news? Are they good straight out of the box? Are they having any teething problems?

I'm hoping to hear positive feedback as I'm excited about this new technology.

Thanks, Dave.
Can't say I've ridden one so I'll speculate on what little I do know.

I've heard they are smooth smooth motors. The pro's I've spoken with aren't seeing much of an advantage compared to the carb bikes. But one well known KTM/RedBull rider did clarify that they are used to riding perfectly setup carb'd bikes. Whereas us plebeians who don't have a clue how to jet and set up a motor will probably see much bigger gains since it takes all the guesswork out of it for us and just adjusts for our stupidity.

Again I haven't ridden one so this is speculation, but my beef with them is that I can fix most carb problems with a rock and stick out in the field. FI system field repairs?? Fahgetaboutit!!

If the quality of this TPI system is anything like the FI KTM LC4 690 that I do own I'll gladly pass and stick with a carb. That bike has so many fuelling issues I'm honestly and actually shocked if I can ride for a day and not have a problem. The FI system on that sorry excuse of a machine is the #1 reason its up for sale right now. Terrible, horrible experience of a bike for me. Completely lost my faith in KTM after buying that bike.

In my summary, I'd hold off for now. KTM has a bit of a growing reputation of releasing innovations before they clear up all the problems.. Especially as a first year bike I'd stay away. Maybe in three or four years once we know if KTM actually managed to get this right. But even then. I'll stick with my Gasser's. In every way they have been a stellar experience for me. And that will keep me coming back every time I need a new bike.