View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 10:08 PM

Default Broken starter, fixable?

Let me start by saying my starter has been working great for a long time. I decided to do the wet mod recently just to keep things running smoothly. This was about 3 weeks ago. Also about 3 weeks ago I sent my bike into some rocks on the left side and it broke the plastic cover on the starter and fuel petcock. The starter was working fine after this so I didn?t pay any attention or inspect it. I have ridden it a bunch of times since then and the starter has worked fine every time. Today I went for a ride and the starter didn?t work at first so I just kick started it and rode. I would stall and try to use the starter and it wouldn?t work. This has never happened to me. It made a grinding noise like it was really struggling and something I haven?t heard before. A scary grinding noise. I got home and check voltage on the battery, voltage is good. I start taking things apart and when I go to take the lead off of the battery the stud that the lead connects to twists and breaks off from inside the starter. I am hoping that this was damaged during my crash and it was just slowly failing and finally went. I am hoping this has nothing to do with me doing the wet mod and the starter seizing up and causing this key to break. What do you think? Can I fix this or will I need a new starter? Any ideas for fixing it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 215C75CE-480F-4D11-B468-770D94B673C3.jpg (132.5 KB, 42 views)