View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 03:45 AM

Bike year & model = 2014 EC300R E-start

Carb: 38mm PWK ASII carb and reed block spacer

Engine: Modified head running 1.2mm squish, 1 x .3mm base gasket. CR unknown but higher then stock.

Temperature (degC) = 2 - 4 degC / 37 deg F

80% humidity

Elevation (feet) = 3500f, or 1100m.

Main jet = 172

Pilot jet = 42

Leak jet = 85

Needle & notch = NECJ #2

Air screw setting = 1 and 5/8 turns out

Throttle valve/slide = 7 non-notched

Results:

The pilot/diameter is correct. 1/4 turn on the air screw either way makes a noticeable difference. Where the AS is set is perfect, it has a good idle and good off idle response.

Off idle it is a tad rich and will burble away until it starts coming onto the taper. Having said that its not too bad and adds torque which allows the bike to lug up hills. The one downside to this is it makes the off idle response a bit doughy and isn't as snappy as I'd like.

Transitioning onto the taper it gets a tad buzzy (sounds like an angry swarm of bees are loose inside the expansion chamber) but I don't think its a lean symptom, more the power valve starting to open and the exhaust getting louder. From here on in its all smiles. Crack the throttle from this position in 2,3,4 gears and the front wheel will loft, no clutch required. The power continues to build smoothly but powerfully all the way to the upper end of the revs.

The ride today was 65ks of good terrain, 40k's of it was single track, 50/50 tight/flowy. There were also some techy trails like sections and hill climbs.

Fuel use = 5.6l for 65ks = 8.6l / 100ks.

Edit: I went for a ride at sea level altitudes (300m) and normal temps (10 degC) and the transition onto the taper was pretty snappy and not at all smooth like the NExx needles are known for. This is due to it being rich off the bottom and then leaning out to a nice mixture as it comes on to the taper. Fuel consumption was also up, I used about 4l for 38ks = 10.5l / 100ks.

I changed the jetting back to what it was pre-head mod and dropped a pilot, so 40p, NEDW#2, 172m, as1.5 to. Today I went for a ride to a local area 300m asl, 55% humidity, 13 degC and did 38k's most of which was a nice little test loop about 5k long. Most of the riding was tight 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear single with a small amount of faster twin trail.
Again even though it is spot on on the idle and off idle response as soon as the throttle starts opening its rich right up until it comes onto the taper at which point its perfect. The transition from rich to lean was present again and whilst not as noticeable as the NECJ#2 was its enough to indicate I have a lot of room for improvement in cleaning up the bottom.
Fuel use was 4.3l / 38ks = 11.2l / 100ks.

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC

Last edited by n_green; 08-02-2014 at 06:16 AM.