View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
@coopernicus: thx for the ride report, most appreciated. Coming from KTM, I only rode KTM's till today, I immediately liked the GG 300/18. Unfortunately I couldnt ride on yet, so there are some questions which you may think are weird but are important for a slow old man like me.
First I am interested how much the Gasser's engine vibrates. needless to say that I havent seen anything that comes even close to my 17 Kato 300 which is most likely due to the fact that it has a balancer shaft.
Second thing is how hard or light is the clutch pull? Over here in Europe we're riding slower tracks but technically demanding, so clutch pull can be an issue. A point where KTM really shines.

Last but not least the GG's starter motor is not exactly the ideal solution. I have heard it fails often when in gear. Not sure if thats true as the former Kato starters were exactly the same and at least mine (well serviced) never failed.

Sorry for my bad English.

CU Doc

PS Hi everyone :-)
Hey Doc Brown. Welcome to the Forum!!

It seems like not many have ridden both an '18 Gasser and a balancer shaft Katoom.

I've heard from one person who has, and I've sat on a running balanced Katoom but didn't get a chance to actually ride it.

I know this sounds unlikely and fanboyish. But the lack of engine vibes in the new Gasser motor is unnatural. Its crazy smooth. I'd guess near or equal to the katoom based on my feel. The guy I know who has ridden both agrees with me.
I have no idea how they did it. But its really smooth.

As for the starter I can't say how it is for long term use. But the current reports are that it works perfectly assuming the wires have been fixed if it was a "first batch" bike.