View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Please post a link to that paper. Many tests have been done proving that as long as your jetted right, more oil = more power, down to 16:1 or so. The less time the oil is in the motor (higher RPM, faster pump) the more oil you need.
Glenn,

I can't find it now! Googling found many articles agreeing with you on more oil is good but none seemed to be based on proper lab research. Maybe you're right but I can't grasp how once you have enough to create a proper oil film on the appropriate surfaces that any more is going to help. I am assuming that the bike vendors recommend "enough". Surely as long as you have the metal properly separated, separating by a few more microns wont matter. But ... if you're not getting proper coverage at the lower strength mixes I agree logically more wear.

The thing about time in the motor I don't think is related to rpm - ok it spends less time there but you're putting more through at high rpm. Unless the throttle is suddenly closed which is when some road premix machines used to seize. I often pull the clutch on 2 strokes when on a long descent.