View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM

Default Broke my Big Toe!!! front Brakes went out..

So my 2010 ec 250 and I were doing the practice laps here in Dallas, pinned 3rd in the rocks toward a rocky 90 degree turn grabbed the front and mushy nothing... Back brakes locked and I slide turned high ended broke toe!! HOW I broke my my big toe my boots I still do not know.. I did get a few free air miles and a helmet rocky landing!

Before I left the house I saw a small Oil puddle ( very small about a dime ) on my garage floor. first thing was darn fork Seals.. Ok its not bad Ill do those when I get home.. WRONG that was brake fluid leaking out of the bottom Bolt of my resevoir !!! Now pit testing I didn't really notice as it was just felt smushy and I figured I needed to heat up the brakes.. OK, here is the first 30 minutes huge down hills scared to death practice lap ever... SO I get back and start looking at the brakes and see I have a leak from that round bubble bolt area and I have no idea why.. Then it hits my I had moved my brake lever as FAR forward and down as possible so I could stand up more.. Apparently I had but that bolt in a bind and it leaked so I have a few questions...

1. Is there a better bolt or something?? I can not believe a small bit of contact created a bind that caused a leak!! However thats exactly what happened..

2. My Rotors also had grease on them of some sort and Honestly The only thing I spray my bike with is WD40 on everything after a bath.. I have yet to get my brakes back to a suitable stopping power and I have cleaned that rotor 10 times.. Could the pads have soaked something up? The lever feels firm, but no stoppie just a slow slowdown..

3. Is there a better gas cap lid??? I sheared mine apart in the wreck

4. I never realized how much I used both brakes till one was gone!!