View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 11:00 AM

If you use a trickle charger or a charger with a de-sulfatimg function you'll kill your battery instantly.

However, today I installed a new, much thicker positive wire between battery and starter relay. I already installed a thicker negative wire from battery to frame and between ignition coil and starter bracket.

Nothing changed. Today I borrowed a power package, removed the battery and used the quick start power package, a pro device with which you can start a Tiger tank after its been parked for 40 years. You can imagine how surprised I was that it did exactly the same as with a fully loaded OEM or Shido YTZS7 battery. It hesitated, youst a knock from the starter motor, then the whining sound. Second attempt and it immediately started.

I re-charged the OEM and the Shido batteries with a special LiIon charger and tested again. Engine cold, first attempt just a clattering noise, then the whining sound. Second attempt it turned over immediately. I then made an acid test and started while depressing the kill button.
Both batteries turned the engine over nice and powerful for over 7 seconds before they got a bit slower. The Shido has a bit more power though.

However, I have no clue what is the cause but I know its not the battery. The same problem appeared with the quick start power pack and this unit is a strong beast.

Its not the relay, its not the wires and its not the battery. I am confused. And I am even more confused as it starts much better once the engine is fully warmed up.

I dont think its the well known KTM problem of a too weak starter. It must be something mechanical inside the starter gear, bendix etc. My dealer is also confused and doesnt know the cause...