View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 08:54 AM

Thanks guys for the replies!

I totally agree the Gas Gas 300 is a all around better machine than the KTM 300, at least out of the crate and for my personal preference. Parts were equal/less in price than a KTM from my past experience - the things I did not like about the GG which has been improved (from furmum reports) was a poorly sealed linkage which took a good part of the day to rebuild, a swing arm and sub frame that had to be forced in place, a wimpy kick starter (actually put a KTM K/S on my 01 EC 300). The KTM motor with a JD Jet kit and a modified "Clay" head squish band is a great/awesome easy to use motor - the G2 throttle cams add great versatility. Sorry if it sounds like I am defending the KTM, but it has been a very reliable bike, however the frame/handling IMO on a GG is superior. Yep, the 5th gear runs out quick on the KTM. With the stock tank it is impossible to remove the spark plug, and I fouled one on the hottest day and had no tools (stupid me!) and had a to have friend go back to the truck - thought I was going to have heat stroke that day waiting on him. The IMS tank I have fixes that and the plug is super easy access - Ironically I just removed the IMS as it effects handling and the smaller KTM tank make it much, much, easy to get up on the tank. After jetting correctly I haven't fouled a plug in a year. So now with all this USFS needing EPA approved bikes for 07 (???) has me "craw-fishing" and I am looking (just looking) at a KTM 250 XCF-W, but would rather stick with my original plan with a 2007 GG 300…

Best regards,

TeX MarK