View Single Post
Old 05-11-2023, 06:09 PM

Default 2012 EC200 Aluminum subframe conversion issues

Long story short my gasgas got on the pipe too quick and I had to bail and throw it into a tree (better the bike than me!) It did some serious damage to the tree and the bike was mostly OK, but of course it snapped the plastic subframe, seat, and everything else back there. It also busted off a footpeg and bent the mount (why don't they have replaceable footpeg mounts like some other bikes?)

Anyway, I ordered an aluminum replacement subframe (part # BE12000CT-CAB-1 / BE12000CT-EKF-1) in hopes it would be more durable. For the most part it fits, but there are no threaded inserts in the top of the frame, as shown in the parts diagram. Only holes that are too big. Has anyone run into this before? I wonder if the inserts might be separate parts (not listed in parts diagrams), or if I have to do some fabrication (tap or otherwise install generic threaded inserts) to mount the plastics? Part of me wishes I had ordered identical replacement plastic subframe parts, but I know many conversions have been done and I don't want to do this again!

Here are some pictures of the aluminum subframe with (currently useless) holes, the original plastic subframe for comparison, and the clip that goes on the plastic subframe to allow the button head allen screws to thread in and hold on the plastic.

Subframe with unthreaded holes on the top:

Subframe Comparison:

Clip:

Last edited by gascadia; 05-11-2023 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Adding pictures