View Single Post
Old 11-03-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyBrit View Post
...the clutch area of the engine shouldn't have an open connection from the piston area, should it?!!!
I was thinking about this some more, and it occurs to me that there isn't a direct connection between the combustion areas and the clutch slave.

I tried looking at the parts diagrams to confirm this, but they were no real help. However, in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS6dtHwED1Y) a guy breaks down a 300 engine, and that was helpful. I'm very confident now that there's no direct connection.

I think the pressure must therefore be leaking through the right crankshaft seal into the clutch cover area (where the powervalve centrifical engager thingy-ma-bob is).

So to answer my own question, yes I have to split the engine and change the cranks seals. I assume I might as well do the crankshaft bearings while I'm at it, and probably all the other seals and bearings?

I'd still love to get some info on that air restrictor plate. And if anyone has any input on things I should/shouldn't consider changing while I have the engine apart, or even tips on things to do, or not do, to avoid making things worse I'll be very appreciative.