Thread: ring gap specs
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 12:46 PM

dave948, I agree that end gap is nothing more than a specification to be adjusted, no differant than setting valves on a 4t except that you only adjust ring gap once. The last bike that I rebuilt I put a B piston (Athena) in my A cylinder and did have to file the rings to meet the GG specs. I don't remember what I started with or ended up at. But...

widebear, you confirmed what I had written in my notes from college in '83 (damn I'm getting old). Automotive industry at that time used .004" min, .010" max. If I had had the info from dave948 I would have used it and probably filed the rings but as it is the A piston from Vertex had .015" gap (.381mm) and that is what I went with. (in a B cylinder rebuilt to A specs by Millenium)

The information that came with the Vertex piston only has specs for piston to cylinder tolerance (.002" - .0025" for anyone that is interested). No ring gap info.

Also, with all the automotive engines I have rebuilt I have never had to file a ring, I think the tolerances are much tighter in the high performance world of single cylinder engines.

Thanks to both of you for the info.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)