View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchatt View Post
Try setting your race (rider) sag 1st. You should aim for a rider sag of 100-110. That should result in a static sag of around 25-30 if the spring is correct for your weight. These are pretty much tried and true figures that should get most modern bikes in the ball park. Don't necessarily worry about how much preload that needs.
I weigh 75kg and get these results with a 4.8 spring, which I replaced the stock 5.2 with.
Remember, if your spring is too soft you will have less static sag than 25-30 for the race sag of 100-110, if your spring is too hard you will have more static sag for the race sag of 100-110.

As a side note my sachs shock blew apart at 50 hrs - I noticed it get all sproingy then within minutes the circlip blew out of the body. It was repaired under warranty with a newly designed seal head and has been brilliant ever since - now about 250 hours.
I agree with what you say to a certain extent. The range for static sag falls between 20 - 45mm with race sag falling between 95-115mm. The rest is rider preference re geometry. So really 30mm 100-110 puts you right in the middle of the field.

But, what we are discussing here is primarily how less preload provides a more comfortable ride. A bit more static sag will always provide a plusher ride in the initial part of the stroke than a spring that has been screwed down to be stiffer.

The whole thing is a bit of a catch 22. The right spring will give you the right figures. You may be borderline where you can either run with more preload, or go up a rate and run less. In this case I'd go for less preload and a heavier spring.